Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Illusion of Knowledge

Although not along the general theme of this blog, I am obligated to make this post so that I remember this, and hopefully, share it with many other fellow engineers and researchers.

I was deeply motivated and moved by a quote from Daniel J. Boorstin:

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Indeed, often times we find ourselves locked within an bubble of knowledge, thinking that we know everything and that we have solutions for all, yet, we fail to realize that this only an imaginary crust beyond which lies the unknown.


Cite as:
Saad, T. "The Illusion of Knowledge". Weblog entry from Please Make A Note. http://pleasemakeanote.blogspot.com/2009/02/illusion-of-knowledge.html

2 comments:

  1. I like this quote. Very true. I've been thinking about this same subject, it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liliane! Good to hear from you!

    I heard this quote from Dr. Mike Disney (an astrophysicist) on a documentary about the universe where he was talking about how some cosmologists are satisfied with the "standard model" of the universe and they don't want to question certain issues with it (such as dark matter and energy). I think the quote is a perfect fit in this situation.

    ReplyDelete